Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: 2010 bmw r1200rt? R1300rt?

  1. #1
    BMW MOA co-founder bmwdean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,021

    2010 bmw r1200rt? R1300rt?

    Any news yet on what the 2010 RT will be? I hear vague rumors, but nothing concrete yet.
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

  2. #2
    LONERANGER
    Guest
    I was on another forum and there was a link to a picture of a 2010 RT. It is quite different from the present model and it has the HP2 motor. There was a link to a Italian web site with the picture and information. I did not like the looks of the bike (if that is the real 2010 model). It looks more like a sport bike than a touring bike and it would seem that BMW is going after a younger buyer, in fact that is what the article indicated. The seat and side cases looked that same as the present model and I have heard that the HP2 motor requires a lot of maintenance. The article also noted that the bike no longer has the BMW switch gear for the turn signals. I really do not understand what all the brew ha ha is over the switch gear for the turn signals. I will try and find the article again and will post a link on this forum.

  3. #3

  4. #4
    BMW MOA co-founder bmwdean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,021
    Last edited by bmwdean; 08-04-2009 at 10:18 PM.
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3

    Ouch - that's hard on the brain!

    I'm very interested in seeing what it turns out to be and when it turns out to be. Since I can't make the K12GT tall enough for me, I'm hoping the RT will fit the bill. It's either that or a R1xGS (wonder what that will look like in 2010?)

    Here is another site - seems to be based on the same source: http://dalefranks.com/cycles/?tag=r1300rt

  6. #6
    Yankee Air Pirate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    197
    Interestingly though... this would only be this way in the states for 2 years... according to my dealership, all bikes need to be watercooled by 2012 due to increasing emission standards... so an engine change after only two years of a model change would be pretty quick.

    B-1

  7. #7
    Honey Badger Semper_Fi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kingston, NH
    Posts
    5,725
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post

    Thanks Jeff - much more understandable!!!
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

  8. #8
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    7,736
    Quote Originally Posted by B1Pilot View Post
    Interestingly though... this would only be this way in the states for 2 years... according to my dealership, all bikes need to be watercooled by 2012 due to increasing emission standards... so an engine change after only two years of a model change would be pretty quick.

    B-1
    I woudln't believe everything your dealership tells you. You can also control engine temps with oil cooling AS IS done now with the R12 (and R11XX) series engines. It might require adding an electric fan to the oil cooler, but no reason that water has to be used.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

  9. #9
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    7,736
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
    I was on another forum and there was a link to a picture of a 2010 RT. It is quite different from the present model and it has the HP2 motor. There was a link to a Italian web site with the picture and information. I did not like the looks of the bike (if that is the real 2010 model). It looks more like a sport bike than a touring bike and it would seem that BMW is going after a younger buyer, in fact that is what the article indicated. The seat and side cases looked that same as the present model and I have heard that the HP2 motor requires a lot of maintenance. The article also noted that the bike no longer has the BMW switch gear for the turn signals. I really do not understand what all the brew ha ha is over the switch gear for the turn signals. I will try and find the article again and will post a link on this forum.
    I rather like it. It's not as heavy looking as the current model - and adjusting the valves wouldn't require plastic removal as the current model does.

    Dunno what you've heard about the HP2 motor - but it's basically the same engine with a new head - and the same design BMW used for valve actuation on the F1 cars and eventually the M3 engines (S54 to be exact.) I own 2 S54 engined cars - and a 30,000 mile valve adjustment is much more acceptable to me than the 6,000 mile current hexhead engine interval.

    The switch gear is already on most of the '09 bikes - so BMW can stop hearing reviews bitching about their odd switchgear (and yes - after 15 years of using it, I still sometimes blink/left furiously when I want to blow my horn..)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

  10. #10
    BMW MOA co-founder bmwdean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,021
    I really do not need more power than my R1200RT has. It can scare me just fine. Perhaps I am getting too old.
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

  11. #11
    Registered User mpmarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Camas Valley Oregon
    Posts
    1,055
    +1 on enough power in the 1200RT. I don't care for the new fairing design. There seems to be no protection for the legs any longer.

  12. #12
    BMWRich58
    Guest
    Looks like a K bike with a boxer motor in it.

  13. #13
    You stupid, fix it! r11rs94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tiverton, RI
    Posts
    5,149
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWRich58 View Post
    Looks like a K bike with a boxer motor in it.
    Now I don't care who you are, that is just right out funny...
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

  14. #14
    Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    now i don't care who you are, that is just right out funny...
    +1 lmao!
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

  15. #15
    Registered User LENRT1200ST's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sanderville, GA
    Posts
    392

    ST Redux?

    Reminds me of my beloved ST, but with a more "politically correct" headlight assembly!

    I think it's butch!

    Len

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •